Tuesday, October 25, 2011



No, there's nothing wrong with your soundcard. It's a silent film. You can watch the entire thing here (with a soundtrack).

First published in 1909, The Phantom of the Opera was written by Gaston Leroux. The silent film is from 1925. Just let that sink in a bit. Our ability to make movies is over 100 years old. This still messes with my head.



Oh, Claude Rains. The man was cast as the Invisible Man because of his wonderful voice. Doesn't it make sense that he'd play a guy in mask?

There was a Chinese version in 1937, but I have not been able to find a good copy.



Oooooo, Michael Gough's in this. Remember him from the Hammer Dracula movie? Of course you don't. You don't even know who Herbert Lom is. That's cool. We can get past that. We've got the Internet.



I have to include this, even though I don't really want to. See, I'm a Dallas girl (Assassination City, born and bred), and a lot of this dreadful movie was filmed in my darling home town. Paul Williams' mansion? That's the county courthouse. The Paradise itself? Why, none other than the old Majestic Theater downtown. I have a permanent, obligatory (albeit small) place in my heart for this dumb movie.



hate to say it, the original music for Magnetic Rose is better.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Soundcard? Who has a soundcard in their computer these days?

Chris Sobieniak said...

Mine does (not sure why I need one, but it's an old PC anyway).

Unknown said...

Man,Claude Rains was a class act.