Monday, March 28, 2005

SCREAM at the screen in Houston...

The horror of the Heinomaske was unleashed at KamiKazeCon, and we did as much AV inflicted damage as we could within our alotted two hours. I consider it a very successful mission.


Specs Liquor Warehouse of the Future! Posted by Hello

We had the rental Chevy Classic loaded up and southbound before noon. We made good time, with a brief stop at Woody's Smokehouse in Centerville, TX for lunch, we found ourselves in downtown Houston around 4:30pm. We stumbled into the Hyatt Regency and made a quick call to Peter Suk, the master of all things AV KamiKazeCon, and got us some staff badgery. After scoping out Video Room 2 to see the lay of the land we checked in with Bob and Emily down in the dealer's dungeon. After a visit to Texas Art Supply and a much too brief stop at Spec's Liquor Warehouse (or as we liked to call it, SIX FLAGS OVER BOOZE) we had just enough time to eat at Wasabi Japanese Steakhouse before racing back to the hotel for the show.

Peter, KamiKazeCon's Video Director, gave us a half hour to set-up OtakuHELL which turned out to be just right. I was running video through a video switcher because I had added a DigiViewer to my gear. It's a tiny data card reader with AV output that automaticly loops video clips that I'd picked up for about $40. I had an animated OtakuHELL.com logo that looped running on the DigiViewer and I would switch to it when I swapped disks or set up tapes. After a false start I had the whole mess running like a charm. Shout out to Peter and his AV posse! They were the best!

I started OHELL with the opening from THE HYPNOTIC EYE cable access show and then showed the new TETSUJIN 28 live action movie trailer followed by the trailer for KUNG FU HUSTLE. There was TURKISH STAR TREK and FORKLIFT DRIVER KLAUS and THE NINJA SQUAD and much, much more. I ended the show with GOGO'S BALLS and LOLITA NO. 18's cover of VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR.

All in all it was a fantasticly trouble free HELL. The sound system was excellent, and I had Bruce Lewis running commentary on the mic to keep that important roadshow/carny quality. Thanks Bruce! Midway through the set we paused to pass out the Heinomaskes and I got a suprise assist from Brett Weaver and EK. Thanks guys! Big thanks go to Mundee and Ed, too. I hope we'll be invited back for next year...
-danno!

2 comments:

Daryl Surat said...

What I like to do when setting up clips is display some silly image that usually has something to do with the clip that was just shown. Like, if I show a clip of Bennett in Commando, the still image would be Freddy from Cromartie. Sometimes I'll use a still picture from the clip to point out something people might miss, like how Roy Disney was Executive Producer on Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue.

Random zany pictures work well for this purpose too. Practically any picture you find of Bob Sapp, for instance.

Unknown said...

Yet another reason I want to get a notebook PC to run O'HELL on....