Tuesday, June 14, 2005

AKonHELL Twenty-Oh-Five part two

Bruce showed up and asked why there wasn't any audio, I turn on the mic and tell him I don't know why. Bruce goes looking for the AKon AV people. I started setting up my gear on the panel table and lining up my tapes and disks in a rough order of play. Somewhere while I did this the AKon AV crew showed up, or at least one of them. It seemed that the combination DVD/VCR player had separated outputs for both DVD and VCR. While I had switched the video to VCR the left and right audio channels where still connected to the DVD player side. Our AKon AV tech plugged the amp into the VCR audio and we had sound with our intermission clips. And a cheer went up from the growing crowd.

At this point I was still worried about the distance between the panel table where I'd set up my HELLgear and the Video Projector/Amp some 10 to 12 feet away. I didn't want to have to run between the table and the video player, ducking the video projector to swap out tapes and disks. Or possibly sit by the project plugging and unplugging the audio while juggling tapes and discs. I wasn't even sure at this point if the AKon DVD player would play SVCDs, on which most of my set had been burned to. Bruce suggested we move the panel table over to the Video projector and the projector closer to the table. So we started moving the tables when I reached down to move a cable out of the way I suddenly realize that the cable was a combination Svideo/Left and Right RCA cable that must have been 24 feet long! It was the answer to the problem! I hooked it to my video switcher an we moved the table back into it's original position. Note to self: Buy a 24 foot combination Svideo/RCA cable for HELLgear.

While bantering with the growing audience more AKon AV techs showed up with a new Video projector to swap out with the current one. I'm not sure why, but they did. They plug the Svideo cable directly into the new projector, but we're stuck with male to male RCA plugs for the audio. Luckily I'm prepared for this and dig into my HELLgear bag for a RCA female/female connector. We've got sound and we've got video from the video switcher! It looks like I'll be able to run OtakuHELL from the panel table after all. The downside is I won't be able to play any VHS tapes, so no tribute to cartoon voice actor Howard Morris with a music video of EEP OPP ORK AH-AH because it's on tape. Oh well, I'll improvise.

I've got video and sound but now I can't seem to get a signal from the Digi-viewer but it worked when I tested it only three hours before....

To be continued...

No comments: