Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow days were made of this



Yes. I had one of these legendary "Sno-Bloc Makers." My folks got one for me and one for my brother. Even though I don't think we ever made much of anything with them. Sure, we made a few walls of "sno-blocs." But it took longer to build a good snow wall with "sno-blocs" then to simply roll up a few large balls of snow, like you would when making a snowman, and line them up for a good wall for a snowball fight. And making an igloo? Get real. We always got bored making the igloo before we could finish it. It just took too long to make enough "sno-blocs" to make anything.

We lost the stupid little aluminum shovels that came with the "Sno-Bloc Maker" almost immediately. I think they showed up somewhere on the lawn after the spring thaw. The "Sno-Bloc Maker" was made of the kind of mold injected plastic that left sharp and rough edges. Over the years it became brittle and I remember one of them split on the corners when we were packing it with snow. This lead to pieces of it snapping off into more sharp pointy bits of plastic. The other "Sno-Bloc Maker" was dashed against a tree trunk and shattered into tiny shards that found their way in to the lawn mower months later. Sorry Dad.

There was also this other red plastic thing, I'm thinking it was made by the same people, that was meant to be use to make and throw snowballs. Of course we used them for "lightsaber" duels and beating on each other. I wish I could remember the name of the thing.

5 comments:

Chris Sobieniak said...

Still, K-Tel knew how to bright your day!

Unknown said...

I've really got to find the commercial for the k-tel snowball flinger. It was used a lot more then the Sno-Bloc maker, and it was great in a snowball fight.

Chris Sobieniak said...

They could re-sell that stuff today. I know some kids who might want something like that.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised there isn't something like the Sno-Bloc Maker on the market, too. Kids would eat this stuff up, just like me and my brother.

-danno!
(Can't sleep...)

Chris Sobieniak said...

That's OK, I was in bed until now.